Guided day tour to Stuðlagil canyon, Rjúkandi waterfall, and Vök Baths
A guided day tour to the stunning Stuðlagil canyon and Rjúkandi waterfall with a visit to Vök Baths floating geothermal pools.
June – Sept.
1 day cut off
We will start the tour by driving to Rjúkandi waterfall in Jökuldalur, where there is a short and accessible walk up to the waterfall.
Just over half an hour easy walk to the gorge where we will take time to enjoy the nature and snacks. The total time at Stuðlagil is about 2-3 hours.
After enjoying Stuðlagil we drive straight back to Vök Baths. Vök offers the country’s first floating pools in Urriðavatn, a large pool, sauna, cold spray tunnel, quality guest facilities, a tea bar, and restaurant Vök Bistro with a view of the lake and the pools, and a menu based on sustainability and local ingredients.
One of Vök baths specialties is a herbal drink brewed directly from the waters of Lake Urriðavatn with Icelandic herbs and it has been recognized as the only certified hot water for drinking in this country.
Pick up starts at Hús Handanna – Art & Design at Miðvangur, 700 Egilsstaðir at 8.30
Rjúkandi Waterfall in Jökuldalur valley
The first stop of the day will be at the beautiful waterfall Rjúkandi. Rjúkandi is located in Jökuldalur valley and can be seen from the Ring Road that leads by. We will take the short walk up to the waterfall and get a closer look at the waterfall that drops a total of 93 meters (305 feet) in two steps.
Stuðlagil canyon is a beautiful canyon famous for it’s large basalt column formations and amazing scenery. The hike from the car park will take around 1.5 hours each way. The hike is fairly comfortable and easy and your guide for the day will lead you the way. You will get around 60 minutes at Stuðlagil canyon to take this natural wonder in, take photos as well as resting and nourishing. You can choose to bring your own snacks with you on the tour or choose to add a special lunch option provided by VÖK Baths. Please check the box for “Lunch” in the “Extras” option in the booking widget if you want to add that to your booking.
Vök Baths floating geothermal pools
After your guided hike to Stuðlagil canyon, you will be driven to Vök Baths where you will relax in the floating geothermal pools. Vök Baths are located on the banks of lake Urriðavatn and offer beautiful surroundings along with the relaxing warm geothermal water. At Vök Baths you also find on-shore floating pools, an outdoor pool bar, steam bath, cold tunnel mist shower, a tea bar and Vök Bistro with a view of both the lake and the pools.
The indoor changing facilities are equipped with private showers and lockers, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and body lotions from Soley Organics. It is possible to rent swimsuits and towels; simply ask at reception should you require a rental.
What do I need to bring?
Consider this list to prepare
- Good shoes and socks for walking
- Swimwear for Vök Baths. Vök Baths supplies shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion from Sóley Organics
- Bathing suits, towels, caps are available for rent
- Layers of clothing, wool or fleece first layer for warmth
- Dress according to weather
- Wool or fleece sweater
- Hiking pants/shorts (comfortable/flexible)
- Lunch pack
- Snacks to munch on during your hike
- Refillable water bottle (we highly recommend filling up a refillable bottle with tap-water)
- Trekking poles
- Camera and binoculars
- Sunscreen, lip balm
- Bag for your disposables
- Hat, mittens, scarf
- Entry or admission fee
- Pick up at Hús handanna, Egilsstadir airport or Vök Baths
- An experienced driver-guide
- Standard admission to Vök Baths, Iceland’s only floating geothermal pools
- Food & drinks
- Swimwear and towels ( Can be rented at Vök Baths)
Live tour guide
- Cancellation fee of 100% is charged if cancelled 1 day or less before the event
- Cancellation fee of 50% is charged if cancelled 3 days or less before the event